We’re the engineering team at ClassDojo.
What we do:
- We’ve helped over 35 million teachers, parents and students across 180 countries build stronger relationships. With 8 engineers, that means about 4 million people reached per engineer.
- In the past year, we’ve released a number of impactful features for these users, such as:
- ClassDojo Insights: real-time insights for teachers into their data.
- ClassDojo Messaging: a full parent-teacher messaging product (including texting, photo-sharing, and voice notes) giving parents and teachers a quick and easy way to communicate during the school day
- A school-wide solution that has allowed entire schools to adopt ClassDojo at once
…as well as tackling all the scaling problems that you’d expect from a userbase that’s growing as fast as ours.
How we do it:
- We have a highly collaborative, flat structure: we all sit in the same room and tackle projects as a team. Everyone on the engineering team writes code, every day.
- We have a focus on high-quality: our codebases are extensively tested by large automated suites, and we display real-time metrics for everything that we care about.
- We’re all on the product team: everyone in the company plays a large part in determining what we build and how.
- We practice Continuous Deployment: our site is deployed multiple times per day (safely, because of all the safeguards we have in place). Every single one of our engineers deployed new code on their first day!
- We write open source, and we use open source.
What technologies we use:
- Amazon EC2 and Redshift
- Objective-C (iOS) and Java (android)
…as well as a zillion other supporting technologies and services.